MFSI has a history of providing ProBoard accredited certification examination and training, including Fire Instructor I&II. This training and certification is the basis of all future fire instructor certification programs. No fire instructor shall attain higher fire instructor State certification without first completing at least an approved Fire Instructor I course.
For information about non-MFSI Fire Instructor I & II program deliveries, please refer to the our policy which took effect January 1, 2020.
Fire Instructor I & II Course Requirements
- Courses must be taught by an instructor who is approved by MFSI. The Lead Course Instructor must hold a Certified Fire Fighter I & II and must hold a Fire Instructor I & II certificate (or higher). The Lead Instructor is responsible for scheduling and record keeping for the course. Assisting Instructors must meet the same requirements as the Lead Instructor.
- Fire Service Instructor courses will be delivered by approved institutions and organizations meeting the guidelines of MFSI.
- The course content will meet the appropriate objectives outlined in NFPA 1041 latest standard and the course length is approximately 64 hours and requires a 10 and 20 minute presentation.
- Training records for the course shall be maintained by the Lead Instructor of the course and all must be completed, including presentations prior to taking either the written exams.
- All qualifications must be met and documentation supplied to Maine Fire Service Institute (MFSI) prior to admission to any examinations.
Instructor I & II certification is granted to those individuals who meet the required qualifications and successfully pass the certification examinations.
Applicants have one year from the time of course completion to finish the certification process. Learn more about the Exams and Skills Tests here.
Anyone desiring to participate in certification testing needs to ensure that their program coordinator has provided progress charts accompanied by a Training Completion Affidavit to the Certification and Curriculum Manager no later than 2 weeks prior to the scheduled written examination. Walk-ons are not permitted.
For more information, contact Deputy Director Jim Roy at 207-844-2076.
MFSI uses Jones & Bartlett Curriculum for all Fire Instructor I & II Programs. Contact Jones & Bartlett for purchases.
For more information, call James A. Graves, Director, 207-844-2070.