Individuals are encouraged to review the reciprocity policies in each level that you wish to receive in the resource list below. We also encourage you to review the Reciprocity Policy section in our Certification and Policy Manual.
The Guide for Reciprocity is a summary for you and will answer general questions.
General Reciprocity Requirements
Individuals holding certification accredited by the National Board on Fire Service Professional Qualifications (NBFSPQ) or the International Fire Service Accreditation Congress (IFSAC) or the Department of Defense (DOD) must comply with the following guidelines:
- Candidates must complete a Reciprocity Application and SMCC registration card.
- Candidate must be a member of a Maine Fire Department and must have a letter from the Chief in order to request reciprocity.
- Certificates must clearly indicate NBFSPQ Accreditation for the level of certification and be verifiable from the accrediting agency.
- Applicant must meet the general requirements for certification as outlined in the appropriate certification booklet.
- Candidates must pay a fee for EACH level for the Reciprocity Certificate.
The Certification Program Managers office will review and verify all documentation. Once the documentation has been reviewed and verified to meet the certification criteria, the candidate may be issued reciprocity. All other information needs to be completed. If documentation does not meet the certification requirements, reciprocity will be denied. The candidate then will need to complete an approved training program and meet all certification requirements including but not limited to, passing written and practical skills certification exams.
MFSI will not consider certificates issued from local, county or any other non-state agency for reciprocity. Because the State of Florida does not reciprocate with Maine, MFSI does not grant reciprocity for the State of Florida.
MFSI uses Jones & Bartlett Curriculum for all its Fire Fighter, Fire Service Instructor and Fire Officer Programs. Contact Jones & Bartlett for purchases.