MFSI has a history of providing ProBoard accredited certification testing, including Fire Officer I&II. This training and certification is the basis of all future fire officer certification programs. No fire officer shall attain higher fire officer State certification without first completing prerequisites and at least an approved Fire Officer I course.
Fire Officer I & II Course Prerequisite Requirements
- Applicants must be certified by MFSI as a Fire Fighter I & II according to NFPA 1001 latest standard.
- Applicant must hold current certification with MFSI as a Fire Service Instructor I or highter according to NFPA 1041 latest standard.
- Proof of 5 years of service with a Maine Fire Department.
- Applicant must successfully complete an approved Fire Officer I & II training program according to NFPA 1021 latest standard and provide verification of successful completion of the course and all required practical skills.
- Courses must be taught by an instructor who is approved by MFSI. The Lead Course Instructor must hold a current Certified Fire Fighter I & II and must hold a Fire Instructor I & II certificate (or higher) and Fire Officer I & II. The Lead Instructor is responsible for scheduling and any other certified instructors and record keeping for the course. Assisting Instructors must meet the same requirements as the Lead Instructor.
- Fire Service Officer courses will be delivered by approved institutions and organizations meeting the guidelines of MFSI.
- The course content will meet the appropriate objectives outlined in NFPA 1021 latest standard.
- Training records for the course shall be maintained by MFSI and the Lead Instructor and all must be completed, including presentations prior to taking either the written.
All qualifications must be met and documentation supplied to Maine Fire Service Institute (MFSI) prior to admission to any examinations.
Certification is granted to those individuals who meet the required qualifications and successfully pass the certification examinations.
Certification Exams and Skills Tests
Applicants have one year from the time of course completion to finish the certification process. Learn more about the Exams and Skills Tests here.
Anyone desiring to participate in certification testing needs to ensure that their program coordinator has progress charts accompanied by a Training Completion Affidavit submitted to the Certification and Curriculum Manager no later than 2 weeks prior to the scheduled written or skills examination. Walk-ons are not permitted.
For more information, call CTPM Peter Rines at 207-844-2074.
MFSI uses Jones & Bartlett Curriculum for all Fire Officer I & II Programs. Contact Jones & Bartlett for purchases.
For more information, please call Walter Morris at 207-205-2762 .