The Lead Course Instructor or Program Coordinator has one of the most important jobs to ensure the success of a local Fire Fighter I & II training program. This certification is the basis of all future firefighter certification programs. No firefighter shall attain higher State certification without first completing at least an approved Fire Fighter I & II course.
Upcoming Courses and Deadlines:
If you are considering running a program, please contact MFSI at 207-844-2076 or call the area County Program Managers as follows:
- Walter Morris 207-205-2762 Southern Maine Region
- Frank Hammond 207-852-8286 for Northern Maine Region information.
Exams must be scheduled in advance.
Fire Fighter I&II Course Requirements
- The course should be approved by the Maine Fire Service Institute as meeting or exceeding NFPA 1001 latest standards.
- The Lead Course Instructor must hold a current Certified Fire Fighter I & II certificate. The Lead Course Instructor must hold a current Fire Service Instructor I (or higher) certificate.
- The Lead Course Instructor will verify the candidate has successfully performed each practical and knowledge skills by signing a complete set of progress charts and “Program Coordinator Training Completion Affadavit” in brochure (or Certification Manual). All Progress charts must be completed and signed by the Lead Instructor prior to the certification exam. This indicates that the Lead Instructor has witnessed the successful completion of each skill in accordance with NFPA 1001 latest standard.
- The completed progress charts need to be forwarded to Maine Fire Service Institute at least two weeks prior to the scheduled exam in order for final approval approval to be granted.
Certification Exams and Skills Tests
Applicants have one year from the time of the course completion to finish the certification process. Learn more about the Exams and Skills tests.
All qualifications must be met and documentation supplied to Maine Fire Service Institute (MFSI) two weeks prior to admission of any examinations. Anyone desiring to participate in certification testing needs to contact MFSI at 207-844-2076. Walk-ons are not permitted.
MFSI uses Jones & Bartlett Curriculum for all Fire Fighter I & II (4th edition) Programs. Contact Jones & Bartlett for purchases.